This Ring Fit Perfectly

 We were making gooey butter cookies for our second Valentine’s Day together. 

We made gooey butter cookies for our first Valentine’s Day too. It was going to be our tradition. 

We only ever got the two Valentine’s Days. 

We were listening to the playlist of our songs when “Lift Yourself” by Kanye West came on. It was the song that made us friends when we were just 14, and even though it was a goofy song, our playlist was incomplete without it. 

We danced and belted our way through it. 

The next song that came on was “Lucky” by Jason Mraz and Colbie Calliat. 

I always thought that song perfectly described who we were as a couple. We were best friends before anything else, and we were so in love. 

We danced for a few seconds before I pushed him away, giggling about having cookie dough all over my hands. 

I turned around. 

When I turned back to face him, he was holding a ring out to me. 

It was a thin silver band, twisted with one strand of solid metal and one strand of stones. 

He had previously given me a promise ring that looked like a frog, but it was a little big for my fingers.

This ring fit perfectly.

He promised he would marry me someday and then pulled me in close to dance with him.

I couldn’t stop smiling.

-Emma Lancaster 

Comments

Other Popular Posts

Right Person, Wrong Time.

Yes, You.